Literacy and Language
1312 18th Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94122
Phone: (415) 242-1205
Fax: (415) 242-1967
The diagnostic evaluation includes a battery of widely recognized tests used to identify a student’s academic strengths and weaknesses. The evaluation also includes a personal consultation in which a specialist will explain the results of the tests and the processes of reading, spelling, comprehension, and writing as they apply to the individual student. This diagnostic service is offered independently, or can be used to craft a remediation program with realistic goals for the individual.
We use the following programs separately or in conjunction with each other to create an individual program for each student.
Our literacy programs are based on the programs developed by Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes®.
The Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing Program for Reading, Spelling and Speech® (LiPS®)-
a program designed to improve phonological processing through developing the perception of how sounds are produced in speech as a tool for independence in:
- phonemic awareness- the ability to discern the identity and sequence of sounds in a word.
- word attack- the ability to correctly decode (read) a word
- phonetic spelling- spelling a word as it sounds
- reading accuracy- correctly decoding and recognizing words on the page
- speech pronunciation
The Nancibell® Seeing Stars® Program: Symbol Imagery for Phonemic Awareness, Sight Words and Spelling Program-
this program develops symbol imagery skills by visualizing the letters in words and is designed to strengthen visual processing, thereby improving:
- symbol imagery- the ability to visualize the identity, number, and sequence of sounds and letters within words
- phonemic awareness- the ability to discern the identity and sequence of sounds in a word
- word recognition- sight word base
- spelling accuracy- spelling non-phonetic words accurately
- reading rate- speed of reading
- contextual fluency
The Nancibell® Visualizing and Verbalizing for Language Comprehension and Thinking® (V/V®)-
a program designed to improve concept imagery, or the ability to turn language into images, which improves:
- reading comprehension- understanding the whole and parts of what is being read
- oral language expression- clearly expressing oneself verbally
- listening comprehension- accurately understanding information given verbally, such as following directions
- written language skills- clearly expressing oneself in writing, primarily with main ideas and summaries
- critical thinking- reasoning skills such as predictions, conclusions, evaluations, inferences and main ideas
- vocabulary development- learning new vocabulary through creating strong visual images with meaning to the student
The Writing Program-
a program designed to improve writing skills by setting a procedure of steps to follow.
- conquering the fear of writing
- improves a variety of writing forms, such as creative, expository and persuasive
- a step-by-step plan for paragraph and paper writing
- note-taking skills
Quick Reads® Fluency Program-
a research-based program designed to:
- improve reading fluency
- enhance reading comprehension
- gain critical background knowledge
We are available to train professionals and speak at events.
The Literacy and Language Center, LLC is not Lindamood Bell Learning Processes nor is it affiliated with, certified, endorsed, licensed, monitored or sponsored by Lindamood-Bell, Nanci Bell, Phyllis Lindamood, Pat Lindamood or Quick Reads®. Lindamood-Bell – an international organization creating and implementing unique instructional methods and programs for quality intervention to advance language and literacy skills – in no way endorses or monitors the services provided by the Literacy and Language Center.